Tuesday, September 13, 2005

NIGERIA RECALLS POLICE FROM THE CONGO AND NIGERIA FREES DETAINED RUSSIANS


Nigeria police hit by sex scandal
Nigeria is withdrawing its 120-strong police contingent serving with the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital, Kinshasa.
The UN launched an investigation into sexual harassment allegations three weeks ago and the entire unit was withdrawn from their duties.

Nigerian police spokesman Haz Iwendi said 10 officers were accused of sexually harassing local women.

"When one is contaminated, the whole bunch is contaminated," he said.
Speaking from Nigeria, he said a senior police officer had already been sent to DR Congo to bring them home.

"We have contingents in about 19 countries right now and we want to send a message to all other contingents that if one finger collects oil, the whole hand is stained," he said.
Fragile peace deal

A spokesperson in Kinshasa for the UN force, known as Monuc, said the group had only arrived in June and had primarily been there guarding UN locations in the capital.
"Since the allegations emerged on 27 August they have been confined to barracks," Rachel Eklou told the BBC News website.

Monuc has been plagued by allegations of sexual abuse, with peacekeepers and other UN staff being accused of rape and giving food or money in exchange for sex.
It is the world's largest peacekeeping operation with some 19,000 staff trying to shore up a fragile peace deal.

It has just announced that a further 800 police officers are being sent to help with elections expected next year.

Poll delay.
The UN Security Council voted for the temporary expansion to ensure the smooth running of the polls.

Elections were due before the end of June under the terms of the 2002 peace deal, but MPs backed a six-month delay.

Implementing a peace deal since the end of a five-year civil war, in which an estimated three million people were killed, has proved difficult.
The planned elections will be the first since independence from Belgium in 1960.
Registration for the election is under way and an estimated 28 million Congolese will be eligible to vote.



OIL TRUCKS IN NIGERA.
Oil theft trial in Nigeria
12/09/2005 - 15:02:50

Twelve Russian sailors held in Nigeria for nearly two years on charges of stealing crude oil are expected be handed over to their embassy today, a Russian Embassy official said.

In a written order on August 4, Judge Roseline Ukeje of the federal high court in Lagos, had said the Russians – all crewmen of the Greek-owned ship MT African Pride found laden with suspected stolen oil off Nigeria’s coast – would be handed over to their embassies rather than jailed as their trial proceeded.

The embassy spokesman said the court hearing to formalize the release had begun this morning. As a condition of release, the judge had required the embassy to give written guarantees the sailors would continue to attend their trial
.

2 comments:

Shola said...

I wonder in what conditions they have been held?

Are they guility or are they just being made scapegoats, with the Nigerian(s) behind the scam having gone scott free?

Orikinla Osinachi. said...

Shola,
They were guilty.
In fact two Nigerian naval officers who were implicated in the illegal bunkering were dismissed.

But, the Russian government wanted to intimidate the Nigerian government to free the Russians.